Saturday, November 6, 2010

What's For Dinner Tonight!!! (Pasta Fagioli)

Brrr!!!  It is cold!!  Which I LOVE!!!   I know,  I'm not right!!  :)  I am off for the weekend and I woke up at 5:30...  gotta love it..  So now I sit in my living room watching Tyler Florence make Minestrone and Grilled Cheese/Apple/Bacon Sandwiches and Chocolate pudding..  Who doesn't love a man that can cook!!!
So on the menu for dinner tonight, Pasta Fagioli, which is a classic Italian Pasta soup and it is so good..  There are many different recipes for it,  but the one I am going to post is my absolute favorite.

Pasta Fagioli

4 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 c. vegetable broth
2 c. water
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1 c. small pasta

Heat olive oil in large stockpot,  add onion and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes,  then add the garlic and parsley,  cook for 2 minutes and then add the drained beans, tomatoes, vegetable broth, water, the dried herbs, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes to let the flavors marry.  Bring back up to a boil and add pasta and cook for 7 to 9 minutes.. depending on the shape and size of pasta that you have..  Refer to package directions.   Serve with a salad and crusty bread.

This is a pretty thick soup,  if you prefer for it to be a little thinner add more vegetable broth or water.  

If you have time you can heat the vegetable broth and water in a separate stockpot with a head of garlic cut in half,  discard garlic and then add stock to the soup.   You can also use fresh basil, oregano and thyme if you choose..  just use about a tablespoon or more of each..

I would love to know if anyone tries any of my recipes and how they turned out for you!!!  Would love any type of feedback.. good or bad..
Have a wonderful day,
Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment