Sunday, November 7, 2010

What is that wonderful smell?!?! (Croutons for Stuffing)

The bread


After I cubed it

After I tossed it with the olive oil and herbs
I decided to get busy around 9,  showered,  dressed in my GA Bulldog hang around the house sweat pants and t-shirt and poured myself another cup of coffee,  this time with some hazelnut creamer.   I began looking at the bookcases realized that I needed to do something with all the books poking out here and there.. So those are straightened.   Seeing my Dr. Seuss collection brought back great memories of reading to my children, to my great nephew Kyler when I babysat him and his sister Caitlyn many many years ago..  Kylers favorite Dr. Seuss book; Go Dog Go.  I read it to him everyday that I watched him,  and loved every minute of it.   I used to be able to recite it word for word without cracking open the book, but not anymore.  Ahh.. the wonders of age and it's effects on the memory..hehe..   After I finished the bookcases I went into the kitchen and decided to go ahead and cook the broccoli for the soup.   I used frozen florets and cooked it in a mixture of vegetable broth and water and added salt and pepper.  I use only Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.  I can't eat regular table salt,  it makes me sick,  and I have to be careful what I eat and where I eat it,  and the fresh black pepper is just a better flavor all around.   When I opened the refrigerator to put the vegetable broth in it I noticed the half of loaf of old whole wheat French bread and the 3 different buns sitting in there and decided to cube the bread,  toss it with olive oil and put all kinds of dried herbs on it and toasted it in the oven.  The apartment smells like Thanksgiving and it's making me hungry.  I used whatever herbs I had and went heavy on the sage, poultry seasoning and rosemary with some oregano, parsley, garlic powder, paprika, steak seasoning, no salt seasoning, Cajun seasoning and red pepper flakes.   I turned my oven on 300 degrees while I was cubing and tossing the bread with the herbs and then put it on a foil lined pan(for easy cleanup) and baked it for about 15 to 20 minutes,  then I turned the oven off and left the bread in there to continue drying out.

No comments:

Post a Comment