Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Not so Lazy Wednesday (Cranberry Orange Biscuits)

Just rolled and put on the greased pan.  I like to use foil for easy cleanup

Cranberry Orange Biscuits before baking
Fresh from the oven and topped with the glaze

Hashbrowns looking delish
Well,  I wasn't going to cook dinner,  but my daughters,  Saundra Nicole and Rebekah Lynn were pouting and acting like they were starving..   not like they were really starving but I cooked dinner anyway..  I made breakfast..  I love breakfast for dinner.. it is the best,  especially when it is on the cool side and a little overcast...  
For dinner tonight was:
Cranberry Orange Biscuits
Hashbrowns
Scrambled Eggs
and for Saundra
Turkey Bacon..
I admit that I sometimes eat Turkey bacon and Turkey Italian Sausage.. but not often.. I prefer non meat meals..  :)

Cranberry Orange Biscuits
(disclaimer..  I never measure anything when I make biscuits so these are guesses on amounts)
2 c self rising flour
1/4 c sugar
zest of 2 oranges
1/2 c butter softened or butter flavored shortening
juice from 2 oranges
milk

put the flour, sugar and orange zest in a big bowl,  stir with fork and then add the butter,  mask the butter into the flour mixture with a fork until it is incorporated well,  add the juice of the oranges and mix in,  add milk a little at a time until a soft dough forms..   dust counter with more flour and turn dough out,  kneading in more flour..  until it is easy to handle and not sticky..   I pink off pieces of dough and roll in my hands and put on a greased pan..  you can roll the dough out and cut with a biscuit cutter if you want...   cook in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes until a light brown..

glaze
powdered sugar
orange zest
juice from orange

mix all in a small bowl until incorporated..  added more powdered sugar if needed..  put 1 tablespoon of glaze over each biscuit..

The zest and fresh orange juice give these biscuits a very fresh and clean flavor..

No comments:

Post a Comment