Saturday, March 19, 2011

What an absolutely gorgeous day!!! (Refried beans)

What a beautiful Saturday that we have been blessed with today..  I have the balcony door open and I am listening to the birds singing and loving every second of it..  I so love spring and the so called renewal of life..  love watching the trees and flowers waking up from their winters sleep..  I love having the door and windows open,   it doesn't even bother me that my allergies have been giving me fits this year..
I close this weekend and I am sure it is going to be fun..  :)  Can you read the sarcasm there..  closing is not my favorite thing..  it hurts..  you are going 100 miles an hour for about 8 hours and hope that what you are doing doesn't get messed up in 2.5 seconds by unruly teenagers, children who aren't supervised by there parents or by the parents themselves..
Sometimes I really just don't like people..  :)
While cooking the spaghetti and turkey meatballs last night I put on some beans so I could make some refried bean burritos before I leave for work today..  I like cooking my own beans so I can control what is in them..  it is so easy to make refried beans..

Refried beans

olive oil
onion, chopped
garlic, minced
1 lb dried pinto beans, cooked and drained(save liquid) or 2 cans pinto beans, drained (save liquid)
salsa
chili powder
cumin
red pepper flakes
salt and pepper

In large skillet heat olive oil,  add onion and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes.. add the garlic and cook 1 more minute..  add the pinto beans and start mashing with a fork or a potato masher,  cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat,  adding the bean liquid a little at a time as needed..  cook for about 10 to 15 minutes and then add 1 to 2 c salsa, chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes..  stir well and taste.. add salt and pepper if needed..   serve on burrito wraps topping with sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce.  etc..  very yummy   you can always add cooked beef or turkey if you want.   enjoy!!!!

I always buy dried beans when I can find the ones I want..  I cook them in my crock pot,  cover with water and season with salt, pepper and a little olive oil..  then cook on low overnight..   so easy and good for you..

No comments:

Post a Comment