Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday!! (Spicy Black Bean Soup)

So,  it's Friday,  my Friday to close at work,  and you know it isn't a bad thing..  I am thankful to have a job and be able to pay my bills,  eat and have the extra's that aren't necessary..  like cable and internet..
I didn't wake up at 5am,  but I did wake up around 7am,  which isn't bad.. I slept pretty good..  been taking Aleve at night before bed,  if I don't take it I am in so much pain in my back and hips that I toss and turn all night,  so I have caved and started taking it almost every night..  I hate depending on medication.. I got up and made some coffee..  love the smell of fresh brewed coffee.. nothing like it.. been enjoying it with my hazelnut creamer..  yumm  and then had some very healthy cinnamon and spice oatmeal for breakfast with some whole wheat toast and now I am waiting to take BekahBoo to work..  then I will come home and start the soup that is for dinner tonight..  Spicy Black Bean Soup..  I made this back in December and it was a hit..   It takes no time,  well you have to do a little prep though.. I like buying dried black beans and cooking them myself,  it is cheaper and healthier..  I can control the sodium and put in them what I want.. which is a little Kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper and a touch of extra virgin olive oil..(You could buy the black beans already cooked and canned.. but then you can't control the sodium and it has sort of a metal/tinned taste)  but once that is done,  then it takes no time to make the soup..  I chopped an onion and some green pepper up when I was cooking Wednesday,  so that will even save me a little time..  this is one of those recipes that you can definitely play with..  :)














Spicy Black Bean Soup

1/2 large red onion, chopped (I am using yellow and red today)
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped (this wasn't in the original recipe)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp olive oil
1 lb bag black beans,  cooked and save the liquid
32 oz vegetable broth
1 can diced tomatoes with chili's
cumin
red pepper flakes
1 bag frozen corn
1/2 c brown rice,  uncooked
salt and pepper to taste

saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until translucent,  then add the cooked beans with the liquid, the vegetable broth, tomatoes, spices, corn, brown rice, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.. reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.. 

So now the apt smells wonderful..  Going to enjoy the rest of my time before I have to get ready for work..  Have a fabulous rest of your day everyone and a wonderful Friday night!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment