Sunday, March 20, 2011

My Stress Relief!! (Chocolate Cake, Old Fashioned Boiled Frosting(Microwave Recipe)

So I am super stressed about this visit that we are having tomorrow and having to close and make sure that softlines (clothing/shoes/accessories)is as brand and beautiful as ever..   I mean when it was Napoleon I could text him and say.. hey this isn't going to get done,   or hey..  I came into a mess,  suggestions??  but,  I don't have him anymore so I feel like I am flying alone in this..  well with the exception of a list that isn't achievable..  more unrealistic with it being a weekend and being shopped super hard..  we left 7 carts of strays last night in the fitting room..  just thinking about that is giving me a panic attack..    anyway,  what I do when I am stressed to the max...  I bake..  plus the fact that I am so sore and I keep cramping in my legs, feet and in the muscles over my ribcage..  uggh..  that last one hurts so bad..  makes it hard to breathe and it burns..    so I went into the kitchen,  cleaned it..  yes.. still cleaning the kitchen all the time and started the Chocolate Cake..  mmmm





























Chocolate Cake

2 sticks butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1/2 c cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 c all-purpose bank
2 c milk

In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar together until creamy,  add the vanilla and salt.. mix well,  add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each one..  add the baking powder and baking soda.. mix well..  add in the cocoa and 1/4 c milk,  beat and then add 1 c flour and 1 c milk, beat well,  add another cup flour and 1/2 c milk,  beat well.. add last 1/2 c flour and rest of the milk..  mix well..  while that is mixing prepare your 8 or 9 inch round cake pans..  butter and flour well so the cake doesn't stick..  divide the batter evenly between the 2 pans making a little well in the middle so it doesn't rise unevenly and put in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes..   remove from oven and let cool in pans about 15 to 20 minutes,  then turn out onto a wire rack or clean dish towel,  let cool completely before frosting...











Old Fashioned Boiled Frosting(Microwave Recipe)

1 cup sugar
5 Tblsp. cocoa
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix all ingredients. {I use a 8 cup pyrex measuring cup.} Microwave on high about 3 min., stir, microwave 3 more min., til slightly thick. Remove, from microwave and beat for a few minutes, and pour on cake,  working quickly to frost a layer cake.. 
{I use a 8 cup pyrex measuring cup.}





My mom used to make a boiled chocolate frosting in her cast iron skillet..  she never measured anything and I remember her frosting the cake with the frosting still simmering on the stove..  because once it cools it gets hard..  I used the microwave this time,  but I think I am going to try making it in my cast iron skillet next time..  brings back so many memories..  but she always made a yellow cake to frost with this and would put pecan halves on it..

No comments:

Post a Comment