Monday, March 7, 2011

Happy March 7th!!! (Chicken Pot Pie Filling, Cheddar Biscuits)

Wow,  what a weekend..  I closed Friday night,  not a bad night at all,   but I got home to find out that BekahBoo's cat chewed through my laptop cord..  ugghhhh..    so my beautiful Cherry Red Dell Inspiron 1545 is on her last breath of battery life and I am trying to not freak out.. realizing how much of my life is in that laptop..  all my recipe's,  bookmarks for recipe's favorite websites, my calendar, my way of charging my cell phone,  because not long after I got my phone,  her cat chewed through my cell phone charger.. so you can guess I am not a fan of the cats..  and if they don't stay in her room like I have said over and over and over again then they are going to go bye-bye..  harsh..  maybe,  but all she has to do is keep them in her room...   
Saturday was so crazy at work..  I don't think I have ever had a day like that before..I don't know what it is about rainy days that brings out all the crazy people..  all I want to do when it is raining is lie in bed or on the sofa and watch sappy movies and snack on food that isn't good for me.. I was so happy to run out of there at 4:30,  but felt bad for the closing team..I even asked if they wanted me to stay for an extra hour to try to help but was told no..   it didn't get any better for them..   I ended up going to bed at 7:30 Saturday evening..  I had to be back at work at 4am..  wow..  I don't think you can ever get used to getting up at 2am to go to work at 4.. 
I didn't cook Saturday night..  was to tired and didn't really have time..  plus there is a ton of soup still in the fridge..  anyone want some soup??  I don't have room in my freezer for anything else..  lol.. 
When I got home Sunday I was exhausted..  took a long hot shower and then proceeded to pass out on the couch for a few hours..  then I went in the kitchen and took out the Chicken Pot Pie filling that I prepped Wednesday when I was off and put it in a 9x13 pan and made some Cheddar Biscuits to go on top..  yummy..

Chicken Pot Pie Filling

2 boneless, skinless chicken breast,  cut into 1/2 inch pieces
olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, cubed
1 bell pepper, chopped
8 mushrooms, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can cream of potato soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 c milk
salt and pepper
frozen peas
frozen corn

Heat olive oil in a large pan,  add onion, carrot and bell pepper and cook 5 to 7 minutes..  add the mushrooms and garlic,  cook another minute or 2,  add the chicken and cook until no longer pink in the middle..  add the soups and milk,  stir well,  add a little salt and pepper,   add frozen peas and corn and cook for about 15 minutes..  taste for seasoning..  put in a 9x13 pan and you can either top it with a pie crust or biscuits..I made biscuits..   bake in a 350 degree until filling is bubbly and the biscuits are done and brown,  if the biscuits are browning to fast then cover with foil and continue cooking.. about 45 minutes in total..  
(I placed the filling in a container and put in the refrigerator..  then I put in a 9x13 pan and topped with the biscuits and baked..  I think taking it from the fridge I will put it in the oven to take the chill off while making the biscuits for the top,  it took a while for the bottom of the biscuits to bake..  or maybe bake the biscuits on a separate pan for 10 minutes and then put on the filling..seems I have a little experimenting to do with this.. but it was so very yummy!!)
Cheddar Biscuits

2 1/2 to 3c self-rising flour
1 c softened butter
7 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 to 1/2 c. milk

I don't measure anything when I make biscuits..   Put the flour in a large bowl,  cut in the butter(can use butter flavored shortening)until looks like corn-meal..  add the cheese and stir well, coating the cheese with the flour.. then add 1/4 c milk,  stir and keep adding milk a little at a time until a soft dough forms..  turn out onto a floured surface and knead about 5 times.. then pinch about a baseball size piece and roll and then flatten a little and place on top of filling in pan,  repeat until all dough is used.. putting biscuits 3 across.. should make about 12 biscuits.. bake about 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven,  if biscuits are browning to fast then cover with foil.. 

So for dinner tonight I am feeling the need to make pasta..   So I am going to make one of my most favorite dishes..  Pasta With Tomato Cream Sauce..  I have made it for you before,  but I will post the recipe again.. I am using Saundra's laptop,  so no pic right now..  but as soon as I get the cord for my laptop then you all will have pics again..

Pasta With Tomato Cream Sauce

2 tbsp Olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans Hunts Tomato sauce
salt and pepper
sugar, hefty pinch
1c heavy cream
1 1/2 lbs fettuchini, cooked according to pkg directions,  reserving 1c pasta water
parmesan cheese, grated

Heat olive oil and butter in a large pan,  add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes,  add the garlic and cook another minute,  add the tomato sauce, salt, pepper and sugar and lower heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.. stirring occasionally, remove from heat and add the cup of heavy cream,   add the cheese and stir..  add the drained pasta and some of the reserved pasta water if the sauce appears to thick and goopy..  sprinkle top with more cheese and sprinkle with fresh basil..

No comments:

Post a Comment