Wednesday, April 13, 2011

When Life Gives you Lemon's..... (Chicken Mushroom Subs, Italian Wheat Bread, Cinnamon Rolls)

 So yesterday on my Facebook status I put,  be nice to someone,  especially someone it is hard to be nice to..  man God proved yesterday again that he has a great sense of humor.. so in me giving advice to others, God decided that I needed to take my own advice.. which I try to do everyday,  so I had a very surprise visit yesterday..  my brother whom I haven't seen in over 3 years came to see me..  shocked??  Yes,  I was very shocked..  he said he never see's anyone anymore..  hmmm..  not sure who's fault that really is..  The last time I talked to him was when my Aunt died last January and our cousin wanted him to be the pall bearer..  so I called him,  I asked and he said no..  so I got to be the one to call back and say.. he said no..  have I heard from him since.. No..   what did he want??  I honestly don't know..  to reconnect or for me to feel sorry..  anyway,  it sort of messed with my head some.. so I got home and did not have it in me to even think about walking into the kitchen, let alone cooking..  so I ordered pizza..  I haven't done that in a long while..  and it was ok..   nice change I guess.. but I think I make better pizza..   my kids are right,  I am such a food snob..  lol..  :) 



Today we decided to spend a little time at Acworth Beach..  It was so beautiful out today..  the sun felt so good..   didn't let it on my back though.. it is still pretty red,  but not sore..  didn't want to chance it though.. then came home,  cleaned some and the girls are doing a good friends hair and makeup for prom so she came over to let them play and I made bread and cinnamon rolls..  bread for dinner..  and cinnamon rolls because that's just what I do..  I bake..  :)  So for dinner tonight..  Chicken Mushroom Subs on Homemade Italian Wheat Bread.. 

Italian Wheat Bread

2 c warm water
4 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp yeast
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp salt
3 1/2 to 5 c flour,  I used a combination of 3c whole wheat and 1 1/2 to 2c all-purpose

In a large mixing bowl place the water, sugar and yeast..  let proof for 5 minutes,  add the oil, salt and flour 1 c at a time until a soft dough forms,  turn out on a floured surface and knead for a few minutes,  shape into a ball and cover with a towel and let rest 15 to 30 minutes..  punch down,  cut in half and shape into long loaves..  place on greased baking sheet and let rise again about an hour or so.. until doubled..  bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.. 






Chicken Mushroom Subs

Olive oil
1/2 large onion, sliced
1/2 red and yellow bell pepper, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
2 chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
Italian dressing or Toasted Asian Sesame Dressing
Havarti, Provolone or Swiss Cheese

In a large skillet heat olive oil,  add the onion and cook for a few minutes,  then add the bell peppers and cook another couple minutes,  add the chicken and cook about 7 minutes,  add the garlic and mushrooms,  cook an additional 10 minutes.. add the dressing and cook another 5 minutes..  Split the Italian bread lengthwise and open,  put the cheese on the bottom and top of the bread and then put the Chicken filling on the bottom piece of bread.. put the top piece on and wrap in foil,  bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes..  cut into serving pieces..   Serve with a salad, fresh vegetables or baked home fries.. 

Cinnamon Rolls

Rolls:
3 c warm water
8 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp yeast
1/4 c heavy cream
3/4 c milk
1/2 c butter
2 eggs
t tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c sugar
7 to 10 c flour

Filling:
softened butter
sugar
cinnamon

Frosting:
Powdered sugar
vanilla
milk

In a large mixing bowl put the water, 8 tbsp sugar and the yeast,  let proof for 5 minutes until bubbly and fragrant.  While that is proofing melt the butter and slightly heat the heavy cream and milk,  until warm to the touch,  not hot,  if it is to hot it will kill the yeast,  beat the eggs in a bowl.  After the yeast has proofed add the sugar, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, 1 c of the flour..  mix and while it is mixing add the eggs and slowly add the butter, cream and milk.  Add another cup of flour and mix well,  repeating with 1 c of flour at a time until a soft dough forms,   turn out onto a floured surface and knead about 5 minutes adding more flour on the surface until the dough is no longer sticky.. ,  form into a large ball,  cut into 4 equal pieces and form each piece into a ball,  cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rest for 15 minutes.  Punch each ball down to release the air and put 3 aside and roll the 4th one out into a rectangular shape,  spread with softened butter and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon,  roll up jelly roll style and pinch seam to seal,  cut in 1 inch slices and put cut side up in a greased 9x13 pan.  repeat with remaining dough and then let rise for 1 hour to an 1 1/2 hours, until doubled in size.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes,  the top will be golden brown.  Immediately frost with the frosting .. 

No comments:

Post a Comment