Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy EASTER!!!! (Butter Rolls, Baked Beans, Au Gratin Potatoes)

Good Morning and Happy Easter!!!  I hope everyone has a very blessed day!!!  I didn't sleep well last night,  the Excedrin PM isn't working..  ugghhhh..   I don't really know how much longer I can function on very little sleep..
So I got up around 7:30 and decided to make dinner rolls,  and realized I forgot to soak the beans overnight...  oooppsss..  the beans are soaking now and I just finished the dinner rolls.. a brand new recipe and the dough felt so soft and beautiful..  I did make a couple little changes..   I can't help myself.. I am a rebel..





Butter Rolls

1/2 c warm water
3 tsp yeast
2 tbsp sugar

Put in a large mixing bowl and let proof..

1/4 c sugar
1 c warm milk(not hot or it will kill the yeast..  your body temp is good..so test it with your finger,  if it is cool heat a little more too hot,  stir it to help it cool)
1 stick butter, melted
2 eggs
2 tsp salt
4 to 5 c flour (I used a mixture of whole wheat and white)

After the yeast has proofed,  add the sugar, warm milk, butter, eggs, salt and 1 c flour,  mix and then add another cup of flour..  Keep adding the flour until a soft dough forms,  then turn out on a floured surface and knead for a couple minutes.. shape into a ball and cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rest for 10 minutes..  after it rests, shape into 2 to 3 inch balls,  depending on how big you want your rolls..  put in either a 9x13 pan or round cake pans and let rise for an hour to an hour and a half..  until doubled and then bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes..   brush with melted butter when taken out of the oven..

The Baked Beans didn't turn out.. I knew I should have cooked them first..  so next time I will cook the beans overnight.. drain the liquid and then add the yummy stuff to them..  the sauce is delish,  the beans never got soft and something in the back of my mind kept telling me that this wasn't going to work..  :)  So I am modifying the recipe...
Crockpot Baked Beans

1lb small white beans
3 c water

Cover the beans with the water and cook overnight.. drain and add the following..

1 c onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 slices bacon, chopped
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c molasses
1 tbsp grainy mustard
2 tbsp ketcup
1/2 tsp salt and pepper

Drain beans and rinse with cold water.. place in crockpot and add the rest of the ingredients...Stir well.. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.. 

I am also making Au Gratin Potatoes.. and not from a box

Au Gratin Potatoes

4 large or 8 medium potatoes
1 1/2 c heavy cream
1/2 c milk
2 to 3 tbsp flour
4 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper
2 c sharp cheddar cheese

Scrub the potatoes well and slice,  not real thin, but not thick,  maybe 1/4 inch thick..  place in a greased casserole dish.  Mix the heavy cream, milk and flour,  then add the garlic, salt and pepper..  cook in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes covered,  then uncover and cook another 20  minutes..  remove from oven and cover with cheese,  place back in the oven and heat until the cheese is melted.. 

We are also having the usual suspects,  Ham, Green Bean Casserole, Broccoli Rice Casserole, Mac and Cheese, Sauteed Asparagus with lemon and parmesan..  I love Asparagus..  :) 

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment