Saturday, February 26, 2011

Woohoo Saturday!!!! (Quick Marinara Sauce, Four Cheese Spinach Stuffed Shells)

Another GLORIOUS Saturday!!!   I have to make a trip to the store to pick up a few things for this weeks menu's,  fresh produce, milk and eggs, etc..  and I usually scan the ads of the stores around me and pick up any chicken/turkey that they might have on sale..  that is why my freezer is always full of meat and why I can get away with cooking for so little..  always shop sales,  now I am not a coupon person,  but with gas going the way it is,  I am going to have to,  so any of you who are good at it.. tips would be great!!!   Well I am off..  will be back in a bit to start dinner..  tonight it's Stuffed Shells..  yummy!!!  be back later peeps.. hehe   :)
I have been back a while,  had to pick Boo up early from work,  so ran in there and got more allergy meds and some other stuff..   stopped in at Kroger and picked up a few things,  they had marked some of their ground turkey breast and the 85/15 ground turkey down to 1.49 so I grabbed 2 white meat and 2 of the other ones,  would have gotten more,  but I knew that I wouldn't be able to fit it all in my freezer..  :)  I really need to invest in a food saver..  then I could repackage everything and would have more room for more great deals when I come across them..When we finally got home, Rebekah unloaded the groceries while I cleaned the kitchen..  then after everything was washed and put up and the food was put up I started the marinara sauce for the shells.  I cheated a little,  but sometimes you have to and it's ok.. 
Here is what I did for the marinara sauce.. and I use this trick when I don't have time to slowly simmer sauce for a whole day..  :)


Quick Marinara Sauce

Olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 to 5 cloves of garlic, minced
mushrooms, sliced or chopped
Ground turkey, ground beef or Italian sausage (optional)
1 can Hunts brand Roasted Garlic and Onion Spaghetti Sauce
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic
1/2 c water
Italian seasoning blend
touch of sugar
Fresh parsley, chopped

In a large saucepan heat olive oil and add onion,  let cook for 5 to 7 minutes,  then add the garlic and mushrooms,  continue to cook for another minute or 2,  add the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink..  Pour in the sauce and tomatoes,  rinse out both cans with 1/2 c water and pour into pan.  Add the Italian seasoning blend and a touch of sugar.. bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer and let cook while you are assembling the shells.. 

Four Cheese Spinach Stuffed Shells
1 box frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry( I put it in a clean/dry dish towel and ring it out over the sink)
8 oz cream cheese, softened
8 oz ricotta cheese
1 c romano cheese, grated
1/2 c parmesan cheese, grated
1 egg
Italian seasoning
salt and pepper
parsley, chopped
1 box jumbo shells,  cooked 7 to 8 minutes..  don't cook completely,  they need to hold their shape and will continue to cook in the pan with the sauce..

In a large bowl put the spinach(break it up as you put it in the bowl, cream cheese and ricotta cheese,  mash together with a fork,  add the romano and parmesan and mix well.. then add the salt and pepper, Italian seasoning and parsley.. mix well and set aside..  Drain the shells and rinse with cold water to cool off..  take shell one at a time and fill with cheese mixture and press closed(don't overfill,  you won't have enough filling for all the shells) In a 9x13 pan put a thin layer of sauce on the bottom,  then place the stuffed shells seam side down in the pan,  placing them as close together as possible to fit all in the pan,  when you have stuffed the last shell cover the shells with the rest of the sauce and put in a 350 oven for 30 to 45 minutes..  cover with mozzarella cheese and cook an additional 5 minutes until cheese melts.. Serve with a green leafy salad and crusty bread..  oh yummy goodness...

No comments:

Post a Comment