Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sweet Success!!! (Macaroni and Cheese)

What a wonderful day..  I slept in..  felt so good to not have to worry about getting up at 5:30..  got up and enjoyed a cup of hazelnut coffee and read the note that my oldest child Jeffrey left me on Facebook..  it made my morning..  I know that my children love me..  but it is nice to get those types of notes every now and then..  and it has been so very long since I have been called Lady..  he and my youngest son Carey started calling me that 7 or so years ago..  I love it..  made me reminisce about when we were all together and how very close we all were..  made me miss my sons...  and then I showered and did a little cleaning, then got ready and took my BekahBoo to her dr's appt..  she is doing well.. thank goodness.. everyday I thank God that she and Nik are ok.   Stopped by the SuperT on the way home and grabbed some all-purpose flour and extra-virgin olive oil..  Got home and started making bread dough for Garlic Knots..  I am determined to perfect this recipe..  the dough felt better this time,  more dough like..  and it rose like it should..  it rolled well and then I formed the knots and let them rise again, baked them and YES!!  They are good..  but I think they could be better..  I will post the recipe,  but I am still going to work on it..  We are having them with dinner tonight..  Macaroni and Cheese, Baked Beans, Mashed Maple and Butter Sweet Potatoes and Steamed Broccoli..  yummy!!!  Then after I clean the kitchen after dinner I will be working on taxes..  mine, the girls, my son's..   fun times I tell ya..  :)    Wait..  if I cook dinner,  why should I clean the kitchen??   Maybe the girls will clean the kitchen,  not like there will be a lot to wash..  just the plates, forks, glasses and the pans that the mac and cheese, baked beans and sweet potatoes are in..   I can dream right??  LOL    




Garlic Knots
3/4 c. warm water
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tbsp yeast
mix the water, sugar and yeast in a mixing bowl or the bowl of your mixer and let proof for about 5 minutes
1 c warm water
1/4 c olive oil
1 tsp salt
5 to 5 1/2 c all purpose flour
add the water, olive oil, salt and 2 c flour to the bowl and mix well..  add the flour 1 c at a time until a soft dough forms..   pull out on a floured surface and knead for a few minutes..  put in a greased bowl and cover with a clean towel and put in a warm place and allow to double in size..  about an hour or so..  punch down and put on a floured surface..  divide dough in half and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes..  roll each piece into a 6 inch by 12 inch rectangle..  cut in 1 inch slices..  12 slices that are 6 inches long..  grab a piece and carefully tie in a knot and put on a greased foil lined pan, repeat with remaining dough and allow to rise for another hour until doubled..  then bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.. depending on how brown you like your bread..
take out of the oven.
1 stick butter
2 tbsp olive oil
3 to 4 cloves garlic minced..
melt the butter and add the olive oil and garlic.. let sit while the knots are baking,  then brush over the cooked knots and sprinkle with kosher salt..  I brush the knots a couple times..



Macaroni and Cheese

1 box elbow or small shell pasta,  cooked according to pkg directions
2 tbsp butter
6 tbsp olive oil
8 tbsp all purpose flour
salt and pepper
hot sauce
4 c. milk ( I use skim)
2 c. chicken or vegetable broth
2 c. water
16 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I kept about 1 c out and added after I mixed the pasta in with the sauce)
8 oz pepper jack cheese, shredded
1 c. grated parmesan

In a large stockpot melt butter with olive oil..  add the flour and mix well,  add salt, pepper and hot sauce.   Cook for a few minutes to remove the flour taste..  add the milk slowly,  2 c at a time, stirring constantly to prevent lumps,  then add the broth and water and allow to come to a light boil,  reduce heat and add the cheese,  stir until melted and then add the cooked pasta and pour into a large baking dish..  bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 to 45 minutes..

2 comments:

  1. I will definitely be making the Garlic Knots!!

    ReplyDelete