Sunday, February 13, 2011

It's Sunday already!! (Multipurpose Bread, Italian Herb Bread)

So my darling child decided to switch her closing shift to an opening one today..  so no sleeping in for me this weekend..  :(    So I am up waiting to take her to work yet again..  lol..  Today is going to be fabulous though..   I am going to make bread today..  and then meet a friend from highschool for lunch..  I am excited about that..  we have so much catching up to do..  and I need to go to the nail salon because I cracked a nail and need to see about getting it fixed..    Haven't decided what I am making for dinner..   Guess I will be thinking about that this morning also..
I love making bread..  there isn't anything more relaxing or rewarding than to see the finished product and it taste good.. 
Today I am making the same bread I made when we had the snow storm,  but I am making different types of bread..  I am making 2 loaves Italian herb bread..  and the other two plain,  so I can use them for croutons for salads or for garlic bread for dinner..  I didn't take pics..  I start making bread and I lose myself..  the dough is so soft and pretty though..   I will post the recipe again and then the ingredients I am using for the Italian herb bread..  it is so yummy..  Was Nicole and Jennifer's (my nieces) favorite and I haven't made it since they died in the fire..






Multipurpose Bread

2 c. warm water
8 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp yeast

put in large mixing bowl and let proof

2 c warm water
4 tbsp vegetable oil or butter, melted
4 tsp salt
7 to 9 c flour( I use a combination of all purpose and whole wheat..  about equal parts)

Add the warm water, vegetable oil/melted butter, salt and flour 2 c at a time.  Keep adding flour until the dough is no longer sticky to the touch..  turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 to 10 minutes..  cut into 4 equal parts form into balls and cover with a clean towel and let rest for 15 minutes..    punch each down and form into the bread shape you want..   place on greased baking sheet and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours..  bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes..  or depending on the size loaf you make..

You could use this dough for Pizza..  just substitute olive oil for the vegetable oil/butter,  you could use this for Cinnamon rolls,  maybe adding a little cinnamon in the dough and a little extra sugar..  you could use this for the Garlic Knots that I made..  I feel this recipe had endless possibilities and I hope to explore many of those possibilities..  :) 








Italian herb bread

1 stick butter, softened
Dried Italian Seasoning,  could use fresh basil, oregano if wanted
Garlic powder
1 tbsp minced garlic
handful of fresh parsley, chopped finely
1/2 c grated parmesan cheese

Mix all together and set aside..   I made this while the dough is resting.  It is enough for 2 loaves of the bread.. so if you only want to make one half it.. 
Take one ball of dough and shape it into a rectangle,  using a rolling pin roll out into about a 8 x 14 to 15 inch rectangle..  spread with half of the mixture to about 1/2 inch from the edges..  roll up long way and ten pinch the end seam with the dough it meets..  pinch ends together and tuck under..  place on greased baking sheet, seem down and allow to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.. bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes..   

No comments:

Post a Comment