Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Wants to CRY!!! (Pasta With Pumpkin and Sausage)

I just spent a tremendous amount of time writing in my blog and posting a new recipe and it just disappeared on me..    can I cry now??..  it was a huge recipe..   I guess I get to start all over again..   this is frustrating..    grrr..  so here I go again..

It has been really odd at work without my exec Napoleon there..  we all miss him so very much..  the heart of our store walked out that Friday afternoon,  not sure we will even be able to replace a tiny bit of it..  He was the best boss EVER!!  so funny, kind, compassionate, strong, he had our backs.. I could tell him anything and everything and know that he wouldn't run to someone else and blab.. There will never be another boss like him..   Work has been so different..  I have been going through the motions..  I go and do my job.. I do my job to the very best of my ability because I think.. what would Nap want and expect from me..    I remember when I went to him and told him that I was going to drive 36 hours in a 2 1/2 day timespan and asked if I could come in late Monday morning and his response was no.. you can take Monday off..   what a guy..  He was always looking out for us..  we don't have that anymore..  no one even comes close to being as good as he is!!  We miss you Nap!!!

I first made this recipe a few years ago and loved it..  My kids even loved it then,  and still do now..  which surprised me because is is unusual..  but oh so yummy..  try it once at least.. and let me know what you think..  :)

Pasta with Pumpkin and Sausage

 1 tablespoon olive oil
 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage
 4 cloves garlic, chopped
 1 medium onion, chopped
 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
 4 to 6 sprigs sage leaves, chopped
 2 c vegetable stock
 1 c canned pumpkin
 1/2 cup heavy cream
 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, ground or freshly grated
 salt and black pepper
 1 pound rigatoni cooked to al dente
 Romano or Parmigiano, for grating

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and brown the sausage in it. Add the garlic and onion. Saute 3 to 5 minutes until the onions are tender, add bay leaf, sage, and 1 c of the vege broth to the pan. Reduce by half, about 2 minutes. Add remaining vege broth and pumpkin, stir to combine, stirring sauce until it comes to a bubble. stir in cream. Season the sauce with the cinnamon and nutmeg, and salt and pepper, to taste. simmer for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken sauce.
drain pasta and add to the pan with the sauce.. stir well and sprinkle with parmesan cheese..   Serve with a green salad and crusty bread..











No comments:

Post a Comment