Saturday, July 2, 2011

Happy Birthday!!! (Buttermilk Biscuits, Sausage Gravy)

In our lives we deal with many different things..  when I encounter someone who is angry and mean I wonder what that person has been through to act like that..  I wonder if their parents loved them...  I honestly try to never judge anyone,  I am human,  I fail..  but I always try my best to be the very best me each and every day that I am given the gift of life..  I personally don't think that a bad childhood,  marriage, etc.  gives anyone the right to be mean to others..  How you deal with everything that has been thrown at you,  and how you treat others is a true test of character..
I loved my brother,  he was good to me..  doesn't mean he was the perfect person,  I know that..  I choose to remember all the good memories..  I remember after he was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis and got out of the hospital the only thing he wanted our Mother to make for him was Biscuits and Gravy..   I don't know why that memory has stuck in my head all these years..  but it has..  so this morning on the way home from dropping the girls off at work I decided I was going to cook breakfast..   and the funny thing.. There is no one here to eat it...  but I had to do it.. cooking is like therapy for me.. and doing it in honor of someone or for someone is a feeling I can't describe.. 





Buttermilk Biscuits

Self-rising flour
butter
buttermilk.

I don't measure anything..  I just sort of throw in in the bowl and go..
Mix the flour and softened butter in a large mixing bowl with a fork until it resembles cornmeal..  add the buttermilk a little at a time until a soft dough forms,  turn out onto a floured surface and knead a few times adding a little more flour as needed..  but don't work the dough to much or it will get tough..  pinch off about 2 inch size pieces and roll in your hands.. put on a greased sheet pan and continue until all dough is used..  I like to put my biscuits close together..  lightly press down with fingers..   cook in a 400 degree oven for about 20 to 25 minutes..






Sausage Gravy

1/2 lb sausage
olive oil
flour
milk salt and pepper

Brown the sausage in a large pan,  breaking it up as you go..  after it is done add a little olive oil to the pan.. (My sausage didn't render any fat) add flour a tbsp at a time and stir until the sausage is coated..  go slowly with this..   cook the flour for a couple minutes,  then slowly add the milk,  stirring the whole time.. add salt and pepper and cook over medium heat until it boils and thickens..




Avril hoping that if she is good and stays in the corner that I will share with her.. 

what a little brat..  





No comments:

Post a Comment