Saturday, September 10, 2011

Memories (Apple Pork Chops, Brussel Sprouts)

Ouida Jane Brookshire


                                                       
My dear sweet Aunt Ouida passed away early Tuesday morning..  she lived a very long life..  91 years..  Amazing..  She was a staple in my life growing up..  I would rather spend time with her and my other favorite Aunt,  than date, go to the movies, etc..  the stories that I had the privilege to listen to in my formative years were fantastic... I always wanted to mold my life like my aunts and mom.. and they were the two that I was the closest too..  I remember spending so much time on Aunt Quida's huge porch,  drinking milk and eating all the yummy food that she would make,  shelling peas on the porch swing,  picking vegetables out of her huge garden..  It makes me sad to drive by where her house was and see the subdivision that is where her land was..  I am not one who loves lots of change..  not in surroundings,  things that made me feel safe and secure and I always felt safe and secure in her home..  her grace and elegance were such an inspiration to me.. she was always dressed nicely,  hair done and makeup on..  her signature lip color,  bright pink,  but it suited her so well.. her home was always clean.. we as a society could take some lessons from our ancestors and their way of living,  the simple life..  God, Family, Friends, Work were the things they strived for..  their homes were important,  but not the most important,  they drove cars until they weren't drivable anymore,  I wish sometimes for the simpler times,  I yearn for my childhood again,  no worries,  just play.. but sadly,  I am not a child anymore and I have seen so much more than my fair share of loss,  which makes me appreciate my family and friends so much more..  the things that I surrounded myself with,  not important..  I don't care that the car I drive is almost 20 years old,  she gets me where I need to go, (most of the time,  when she isn't upset with me about talking about trading her in or getting a newer car)
Anything I write about my Aunt can't even remotely do justice to her character.. she was such an amazing lady and she will be greatly missed by many..

For dinner tonight I am making Apple Pork Chops..  brand new recipe that I am playing with and nothing that I planned,  but they had Pork Chops marked down at my most favorite Super T,  so I grabbed a couple of packs and then grabbed some apples and will do some mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts to go with..  sounds yummy..  I might make some french bread in the morning..  haven't made any in a while..  and it helps me de-stress..  then at 12:30 it is mani/pedi time.. definitely need that..








Apple Pork Chops

4 thick pork chops
1 teaspoon olive oil
salt, pepper and garlic powder
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 red onion, sliced
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 tart apples - peeled, cored and sliced

Season the pork chops with salt, pepper and garlic powder, spread oil in a 9x13 pan and place the chops in the pan.  melt the butter in the pan,  add a sliced onion and saute for a couple minutes and mix with the brown sugar and spices,  toss in the apples and stir well..  pour over the top of the chops..  place in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes to an hour.


Brussel Sprouts

3 to 4 slices bacon, chopped and browned
1/3 c white vinegar
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 pkg frozen brussel sprouts

In a large skillet cook bacon until crisp,  remove from pan and leave drippings in pan,  add the onion and saute,  add the garlic, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper, stir well and add the brussel sprouts,  cook for about 5 to 10 minutes,  add the bacon and serve immediately. 


Dinner was great,  but the apples were too mushy,  I think next time I might cook the pork chops separately then put the apple/butter mixture on top after I cook them on the stove top..  I like my apples to be a little on the crunchy side.. 


No comments:

Post a Comment